Equil Smartmarker: Capturing and Streaming Notes from a Whiteboard Just Got a Whole Lot Easier!

Ok, so you already know if you have been reading my blog just how much I love gadgets. Especially, gadgets that are easy to use and can extend the learning that is taking place in my classroom. When I read about the Equil Smartmarker from Luidia a couple of months ago, I was enthralled with the possibilities. As an Assistive Technology Consultant I am often supporting students with disabilities who may require that classroom notes be provided to them.  So when I came across the Equil Smartmarker, I had to get my hands on one to review. Luidia was kind enough to send me an Equil Smartmarker to test in the classroom. The Equil Smartmarker is available from Luidia at a suggested list price of $700 USD.

When you first take it out of the case you know from the start that this is a high quality product. The packaging of the Equil Smartmarker is exquisite and
equil smartmarker
Equil Smartmarker from Luidia
functional and provides a great case for carrying the device. Plugging the micro USB cable into the base of the storage unit of the Equil Smartmarker quickly charged the device. The design of the storage housing and the indicator lights on the Equil Smartmarker and Stylus are great touches to let the user know that the device is fully charged. For those of you who may not be familiar with the Equil Smartmarker it is a lightweight oval shaped device that when placed on any whiteboard surface can capture what is written with a standard whiteboard marker which is in a special housing. If you carried the Equil Smartmarker in your bag you would be hard pressed to notice that it was there, which is the real beauty of the device. Because of the size and weight you are more prone to use it whenever you are white boarding.  Unboxing and charging the Equil Smartmarker was a great experience and now it was time to test it out in the wild, my classroom.


In preparation to use Equil Smartmarker, I downloaded the Equil Note HD app to my iPad Air from the Apple App Store. Wanting my students to get engaged with the Equil Smartmarker, I had them download the Equil Note app to their smartphones. Once in my classroom I placed the Equil Smartmarker, which has a magnetic base directly on the whiteboard. So far so good! I next pressed the power button and fired up the device. Next I pressed the IOS button and paired the Equil Smartmarker using Bluetooth with my iPad Air which was rather seamless. Once the Equil Smartmarker was paired I got audio confirmation that it was connected. I then launched the Equil Note HD app on my iPad and took the cap off the marker and started to write on the whiteboard. With amazement everything I was writing on the whiteboard was being captured to my iPad. If I needed to erase something on the whiteboard I was able to do so with the
supplied digital erasure which worked really well. When I was ready to capture my next whiteboard, I simply pressed on the New Page button on the Equil Smartmarker and erased the contents with the regular whiteboard eraser. Since my iPad Air was connected to the projector, my students could see in real time just how fast and seamless it was to capture my written notes. I next asked myself what would the experience be like if I streamed the white boarding session to my students’ iPhone’s and Android smartphones? Using the Equil Note HD app from my iPad Air, I started a streaming session which brought up a dialog with a nine digit number that my students could enter into their Equil Note app on their smartphone. Within seconds they could see my whiteboard, and as I wrote, they instantaneously saw what I was entering on the board. Most of my students were really impressed with the speed in which the whiteboard and written notes appeared on their smartphone. 

The Equil Smartmarker can capture quite a large area (16ft x 5ft) and has some really great uses for the classroom. For teachers that need to capture notes for students this is an ideal device. Its diminutive size makes it ideal to throw in your bag and take from room to room. The Equil Smartmarker can be used by itself without the need to pair it with computer or tablet and will store over 1000 screens which can then be downloaded to your device once you are setup. For students with visual impairments I could see a scenario whereby the student can have a large tablet or computer at their desk and have the contents of what the teacher is writing up at the whiteboard streamed to their monitor in real time. Using the zoom in feature of the iPhone my students could zoom into the notes and they were sharp as a tack. Similarly, my students noted that the Equil Smartmarker would be an ideal tool for students who may be on homebound instruction and wanted to follow along with the class. Using Equil Smartmarker a teacher could invite the student to a “Notestream” to join the whiteboard session. Within seconds the student could see in real time what the teacher is writing on the whiteboard and be an active participant in the lesson. As far as I know the Equil Smartmarker is the only tool that will allow teachers to do the “notestreaming” so that students can better understand the process. Teachers can also save the white boarding session and send it to the student via email for future reference. Using Skype or an audio conferencing tool paired with Equil Smartmarker could be a great way for students who are on homebound instruction to participate in a class. For faculty who are entertaining the idea of distance learning and rely on white boarding the Equil Smartmarker is a great solution.


In the short time that I have been using the Equil Smartmarker and the accompanying software I found it to be quite intuitive and easy to use. I was really excited once I captured the notes to be able to utilize the handwriting recognition feature which worked really well- even on my handwriting! The handwriting worked really well and I could reorganize some of my notes to make it more readable. The Equil Note HD software gives you lots of options to share your notes once they are captured which is great. You can share your captured notes to the iCloud, Evernote, Dropbox, and OneNote which gives you some great options. 

While it is easy to get mesmerized by company marketing materials and online videos, I have to say the Equil Smartmarker lived up to its potential and performed flawlessly when I used it in the classroom. From basic whiteboard capturing to streaming the Equil Smartmarker was a pleasure to use and faded into the background so that I could use it to do my teaching. If you are in a public school, college or corporate environment then you will definitely want to have an Equil Smartmarker on hand to brainstorm and capture your white boarding sessions-and watch your creativity blossom and soar! For more information about Equil Smartmarker click here.

Comments