Using Some Peripherals with the Surface RT

The summer really kicked off for me when I attended the ISTE 2013 Conference in San Antonio the end of June. It has been a busy summer doing workshops, consulting and working with new hardware and apps. I was fortunate to receive a Windows Surface RT from the Microsoft Education Team at ISTE 2013 and have been exploring its feature set and how it could be used in the classroom. Using the Windows Surface RT, I have become accustomed to using Windows 8 on a tablet and have enjoyed learning the new operating system which has some nice features. Unlike the Windows Surface RT's big brother
the Windows Surface Pro- you can not install Windows 8 legacy software on the Windows Surface RT and are relegated to downloading apps form the Microsoft Store. While the number of educational apps is growing there is still a need for more high quality apps for use by educators. Having said that, there is still a good base of apps for students and teachers to utilize on the Windows Surface RT especially since the Surface RT, comes standard with Microsoft Office. I would imagine that many students will be coming back to schools which have invested in the Windows 8 tablet platform and will find themselves needing to get up to speed. 

From an instructors perspective you will find it easy to use the Windows Surface RT as an instructional tool and I would highly recommend that you go out and purchase a HDMI to VGA cable that will enable you to plug your Windows Surface RT into your data projector. There are many companies on Amazon that sell this cable for a couple of dollars that will
really make your life easy using the Windows Surface RT in the classroom. For that matter you can also plug the Windows Surface RT into a larger external monitor and use it as an alternative to a laptop. The Windows Surface RT also has an audio out jack making it easy to plug it into an external speaker. If you are so inclined you can also pair your Windows Surface RT to a Bluetooth speaker giving you complete flexibility. I was quickly able to pair the Surface RT with my Hidden Radio Bluetooth speaker and enjoyed watching videos on my Surface RT. For those of you who would rather use a mouse with your Windows Surface RT you may find the Microsoft Touch Wedge mouse a good alternative. The Microsoft Touch Wedge mouse is small Bluetooth enabled device that lets you scroll both vertically and horizontally utilizing the Windows 8 operating system. Pairing the Microsoft Touch Wedge mouse was fast and easy and it worked well on all of the surfaces I tried it out on. As much as I enjoyed having access to the Surface Touch Cover, I found that it just didn't work for me and I went out and replaced it with the Surface Type Cover which adds minimal weight to the device. Having access to the Type Cover gives me a great working experience when I am typing or using Microsoft Word on the Surface RT. 

Using the various peripherals with my Surface RT enabled me to customize my working environment when using the tablet and made for a much more enjoyable experience. If you were one of the lucky teachers to receive a Surface RT at the ISTE 2013 Conference stay tuned for some other ideas and tips and tricks of using the Surface RT in the classroom.






 

Comments